nametag

nametag

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Week 32: I'm finally back in action... kinda of ?

Well Elder Nhem spent last night in the hospital and had a little morphine :) We are hopefully optimistic it was just another bump in the road.  This time it was his kidneys.  
We're not sure if it is related to the parasites.  

I have a new favorite picture.  He is doing amazing things!


Hey everyone,

Sorry it's been a couple of weeks since hearing from me. I've been dealing with some health issues that have put me out of commission for a bit. After several trips to the hospital and lots of hours of patience and faith I hope it'll all be soon over.

The country is still hot as ever, rain or shine, night or day, always blazing. Every single day I have gotten completely soaked! Like I come from Washington, the rainiest state ever and I still get shivers down my spine when it monsoons here. It's kinda nice sometimes though because it's like a refreshing shower. Seriously in like .25 seconds I'm soaked head to toe, gosh it blows my mind! And the rain is soaking all the fields so I have a feeling I'm going to be picking lots of rice soon for service... Yay for Asia's main food staple! (:

But that is okay, over the past couple weeks my relationship with my Savior and my Heavenly Father has grown in ways I never imagined. I truly learned to lean on my Savior. He has experienced my pains and can ease them for me. He understands exactly what I'm going through and knows exactly what I need to find comfort. His presence in my life has never been more real. I'm starting to see this whole mission is just preparing me for the rest of my life.
As for the area, wow! It has just been such a blur! Time is flying and Elder Stanley and I are trying to work our tails off. With the health issues we've been held back, but only a little. Yesterday I had the lovely privilege to baptize a young man with faith the likes I've never seen before. Khemra is the young man who cannot walk. He pedals a bike contraption with his hands 2 hours every Sunday to get to church. But man is it worth it. Seeing him in those white clothes all excited to get into the baptismal font was such a special experience. The actual baptism was so bizarre but it's okay :P After I said the prayer he sort of just went down and to everyone watching he didn't come back out! He had crawled through the water over to the side so fast like wow it was crazy! Don't worry the witnesses said he went all the way under but it was strange nonetheless. But afterwords is what stuck out to me the most. After he was baptized we were sitting side by side and he whispers to me "Thank you Elder Nhem, I have never been so happy before in my life. I just feel like crying" and with tears in both our eyes I put my arm around the guy and told him how proud I am of him and told him how much his Savior loves him. This Gospel really does change lives. It sets people free and gives hope and it's such an amazing privilege to get to be here doing this work! I will keep going strong regardless of the little bugs in my stomach. My grandpa told me something funny, he said the bugs are just Satan working hard and probably have little red horns and tipped tails so that's why it hurts so bad! :D Gosh he is so silly, but it's true, the little buggers hurt! But anyways, I'm well! I'm working harder than ever and just enduring! I know the Lord will reward me for my patience and endurance so it's all worth it!
I love you all and have a great week! In Khmer they say "Som sleh trum nung sen, som tuasna piak bendah" Which means, to be continued, please wait until next episode (;
Love,
Elder Spencer Paul Nhem

 Loved this quote from President Uchtdorf

No comments:

Post a Comment