nametag

nametag

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Week 33: NO PAIN, NO GAME(;


 

OK, where to start.  WOW what a week.  It started out with an email from Sister Moon who is turning into one of my good friends.  Her love for my boy astounds me and this gospel never ceases to amaze me. This is definitely a trial of FAITH :)

1st email home from Sister Moon on Monday:
I just wanted to update you on Elder Nhem.  He went back in to the doctor today since he wasn't feeling any better. They gave him some tildroquinil and another medicine I must've spelled wrong because I haven't been able to find it on the internet. I will call and see if I can get it.  This is a stronger Amoeba medicine. I told him to stay in even if he started feeling better and try to eat little bits of our BRAT diet, bananas, rice , applesauce and toast. I think he was getting so hungry he ate a lot and then hurt a lot. He is drinking as much as he can also.
He will take these medications for 3-4 days and then we will see if they help. 
I am also in contact with our area doctor who is stationed in Hong Kong and is from Utah with what is happening. He has access to many doctors the church has in place if he doesn't know answers or needs help.
We are hoping this will kick it. Amoeba's are the hardest thing to get rid of that we have encountered here since I have been here. Luckily only a few have gotten them. They seem to take a long time to get under control. I will be continuing to monitor him and call him each day and he is to call me if there is any big change any time day or night.
Thanks for your encouragement for him.
 He is a strong man!!  

We surely love him and want him to be better!
Sis. Moon 
Then a second email from Sister Moon on Saturday:
Julene,

Just an update.  I talked to Elder Nhem again on Friday. He said he felt like he was doing better.  The area doctor told me that the medicine is a real rough to take medicine - pretty intense and can make you feel sick just because you were taking it. I had expressed that to E. Nhem earlier and was hoping that may be why he had seemed to remain sick.
Saturday  I found out he had gone to the hospital in the night - this was from the APs , not quite sure why he didn't call me , but the APs knew. He had stayed there through the night and was back home when I called. He said the medicine had made him have a lot of acid in his stomach and that was what was hurting so much. They gave him some antacids and also some antibiotic.  I asked why they would've given him and antibiotic for acid. He kind of chuckled and said , " I forgot to tell you that I fell, ( I think on his bike) and my leg is infected." Oh my!  This poor Elder!  He just kind of chuckled again!  I asked about it and he said it was king of a deep puncture. So that is on the mend also, and we will need to keep a check on that also.  The doctor told him the amoeba's were gone now. I asked if that meant the little pockets of possible eggs from them also and he didn't know. That sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't. I have not checked with the area doctor about that , and will do that also to see if he thinks taking it as long as he did that it would take care of those also.  So he will stop taking that very intense medicine as of today, and take the antacids and antibiotics and I will keep checking on him.
As parents I know you think and wonder about it daily - at least I did, when my son was sick. I hope you feel free to contact me whenever you want to.  I am so hoping that this is the end for him - another week possibly for the acid and leg to get better.
We will do all we can here to help him. He has stayed in all week last week and rested.  

Please let me know if there is anything else you want to know that I can help you with.
Love, Sis. Moon
So this is where things were till tonite when we received an email from Penny.  He left about an hour ago to fly back to the mission home in Phnom Pehn.  He will be staying there with the Moon's until all this is figured out.  They have American doctors there for Americans in the embassy and such.  So we are ever optimistic that all be well soon. The Moon's are amazing people.  

MESSAGE BLOG:
A week of learning and humbling that is for sure.
Desire is good, faith is great, but when it's all said and done, God is the one in charge. He has a plan and no matter how hard we try, that plan is going to go according to His will. Yes I had the desire to go and proselyte, but Heavenly Father right now just has a different plan. I've been pretty sick this week, that is for sure. I have more amoebas and spent a night in the hospital actually. After treatment they couldn't find anything so they sent me with medicine and said come back. The problem hasn't gone away, it actually has intensified. So now I'm being flown into the city today to be closer to the Moons and to get better doctors that can speak English and hopefully figure this out. But this week has taught me some powerful lessons. Since I was inside all day everyday, I had a lot of time to study the scriptures and reflect on them. I slowly saw my desires and prayers change. I went from questioning Heavenly Father why this was happening and begging for a solution to asking Him to soften my heart to better understand His will. That is what true prayer is, bending our will to that of the Father's. It was humbling but now every prayer is ended with "Thy will be done." Because no matter what, in the end it's His will. Another powerful truth I've learned this week is about the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I never fully understood it. I still don't but I'm starting to understand it a lot better. The Savior took on the pains and sins of the world. Literally every single pain. He knows exactly what I am going through and can help if I turn to Him. I can and will find comfort. He's experienced the little infected scrape on my foot, the bugs in my tummy, the left-over ulcers from those hungry bugs in my tummy, he knows my pains, my struggles over here. He knows me. He knows me better than I know myself. As we turn to Him in faith I promise we can and will receive comfort both emotionally and physically. He literally lifted the burden and pain off my back. Even through the struggles, little miracles still are happening. Yesterday at church, Khemra got confirmed a member. I already see the light of Christ working hard in his life. Because in the beginning he was a shy guy, and didn't even want to talk to me. He told me I'm American and that I should just go, but you know me (; Before he never smiled, and even covered his mouth when speaking. Now he is loud and proud. He is shining with the light of Christ. He smiles big and greets me from his wheelchair every time I see him with love and respect. Another amazing thing is this family I've been working really hard with, the one that lives an hour and a half away by bicycle, yeah.. are ready for baptism. The grandfather has been less-active and I never saw him at church. But as we continued to visit I saw him lighten up. He started trusting us and even started coming to church. It was hard to teach them because they are far far away, but seeing where they are now is all worth it. Yesterday after interviewing Abraham, Maria, and Sokhuan, my district leader assuredly told me they are ready. Here is what is the coolest, the grandfather, Ohm Hai, or Lehi as I like to call him, is baptizing the grandkids!! It is just another little miracle the Lord has thrown my way is this time of trial. So yeah life's a little hard right now. But when is it not? I am loving every minute of it. I mean I get to fly on an airplane this morning. That's cool right? (: So yeah, I'll keep going strong and am happy as ever, don't worry about me! Have a great week and I love you all for the support!

Elder Spencer Nhem

I am so incredibly proud of Elder Nhem. 
 Through it all he never gives up. 
 Remember him in your prayers please.  
His health is just a huge struggle.
His example brings me much peace and comfort.  
The things we learn from our children.

On a side note: 
Tonite we had 4 sister missionaries over to dinner.  Sister Noun leaves in the morning to return home to Phnom Pehn.  Sister Loy just arrived two months ago from Siem Reip.  I have enclosed pictures.  Sister Loy's father is Spencer's branch president.  He sent a picture of her little sister tonite.  So we took a picture of his sisters with Sister Loy.  What a small world:)  He spent his Sunday with her family and we spent ours with her thousands of miles away.  Only in the gospel does such amazing things happen to strengthen our testimonies.
    Sister Loy's little sister and Elder Nhem
(After dinner I showed her the picture and asked her if she knew who this was? 
 She started to laugh and said "Yes that's my little sister")


 Rachel, Sister Loy and Eliza
Rachel, Sister Dunster , Sister Loy, Sister Noun, Sister Walker and Eliza

Have a great week everyone and Happy Independence Day!
Love to you all!
Julene

No comments:

Post a Comment